Saturday, April 4, 2009

A reading recommendation from someone who doesn't read nearly as much as she should

Unfortunately I'm stuck at the computer all morning while I try and sort out some band-internet web site-age, so until that gets all settled and I can work out Plinky is keeping me occupied. After graduating I decided to start reading more, as I really only read what I had to at school because of how busy I was. I got this book for Christmas and had it read in a matter of days afterward.

I have a thing for nonfiction books (maybe I just have a short attention span these days), and I've really been getting into books of essays. I must honestly admit that I was first drawn to this book at a Barnes and Nobles based solely on the title and cover (kind of embarrassed by that, but hey, everything happens for a reason, and if you know me, you know I like flowers and cake. so it was hopeless from the start.) But seriously, this book is great. Sloane Crosley tells a bunch of humorous and obscure stories throughout her life, and focuses on the absurdity of them all. Her attempts at trying to rationalize such weirdness only adds to the humor, and her writing style makes this book a very quick read. This book truly makes you appreciate the randomness and strangeness that accompanies every day life, and embrace it for what it is and laugh about it.

No comments: