Wednesday, July 1, 2009

It's been a blur

Yesterday was a pretty weird day. I had a lot to do (especially errands so that all of this AFE work gets done quickly and doesn't stress me out too much), including go to the drug store, get additional passport photos (I need to get an extension on my passport to be allowed into Saudi Arabia), go to the grocery store for the parents, get an oil change, and try and find 30 rock season 2 for a reasonable price. I succeeded in everything but the latter, though I know I can get it for a nice price on amazon, and I intend on doing that right before I leave for Asia so that I have a few hours of shows that I can watch if I need some 'alone' time or if there aren't any televisions, though I don't anticipate staying in my room while out there.

The weather has been crazy lately, though I do love storms and honestly the rain doesn't bother me when it's warm out. Other than making sure my cell phone is safe from water (killed a couple of phones that way), I really don't mind it.

Later on last night Kaleena and I went to the retirement party for our 7th grade gen. ed. music teacher, Mr. Simiele. He was one of the most influential teachers I have ever had, and was one of the driving inspirations to my sister and myself to pursue music after high school. Every year, he WROTE his own musical, and had the middle school perform it. In 1999 (7th grade for me), we both had a lead in his show, and he wrote a song for just Kaleena and I to perform in the play. We were asked by the 6th grade teacher (another wonderful music teacher, Mrs. Gerber), to come to the party and suprise him by performing it again. It's crazy to think it was over ten years ago since we performed the song last, and it was so nerve-wracking!! He and his family were sitting at a table right in front of us, and he just listened with his eyes closed and a huge smile on his face. He even cried! It was such a touching moment, and just as thankful as he was that we were there, we were just as grateful for the opportunity.

We also found out that no one is going to be replacing him next year, which means Mrs. Gerber is going to be stuck with 2 years of general ed. That is simply too much for one person to handle, and there may not be a musical for the middle school anymore because it is too much work to do. I think it's a travesty, especially in our school district, because the level of the music department in Baldwinsville has always been highly regarded. Not to mention all of the studies that have proven that a good knowledge in music helps kids excel in other areas. It's just wrong that we are going to be cutting a teacher, especially at a level where it is a formative year for kids to develop an interest in music and the opportunities that creativity can provide. Seeing a teacher write and produce a new play year after year inspired me back in the 6th grade, and it still does. That kind of effect on kids is contagious, and without someone cultivating that we may be losing a lot more than we think.

I spoke with the remaining teachers at Baldwinsville and told them that whatever steps may be needed to help with the cause of finding an additional teacher I would take (not like there's a shortage of them, I know at least a dozen music ed graduates looking for a job). It really sucks, the state of the economy right now, but I really think that cutting something like this would be far worse.

No comments: