Wednesday, July 15, 2009

100th Post!

The past 36 hours have been pretty crazy, and right now I am in desperate need of some sleep and I think as soon as I finish this up that's where I'll be headed. Yesterday morning I woke up at 4:45am to head out to Jess' to meet up before we left. It was Michael, Kaleena, Jess, and myself in his car on the way there. Us...and the trailer.

Now, I love New York City, but when you're with a car, and a trailer, and a few thousand dollars worth of musical equipment, it's pretty much like traveling to NYC with a small child. You can't leave it anywhere, you have to feed it (the parking meter) every two hours (which therefore means you can't go too far either), and be responsible for it 24 hours a day. Especially where we were, it was all metered parking, and if it was overnight it was at risk of being ticketed after 7am. Jess was amazing for dealing with the vehicle... no wonder why I get stressed out so much!

So we got into the city before noon, and Michael and I met up with Paul Williams at an organic macrobiotic restaurant (Souen). I got some really interesting (but tasty!) cornbread, cabbage salad, and veggie sushi. Then we went to a comic book store and went back to the venue.

We managed to get an early soundcheck, and then Leena and I headed back to the hotel to quickly get changed and not look like we'd been in a car since 6am, got back to the venue and got things ready.

Overall I don't think we could have asked for a better show. There was a line out the door right before we went on, we played an amazing set, the energy was amazing and the crowd was as well. There were so many friends, family members, and music people that it really blew my mind. The following hour was me saying "thank you" to everyone who came out, meeting new people that I didn't know who came out to see us, and loading up all our equipment.

Another 'thing' about nyc shows - when we play, it's almost like your graduation party, where you have your current best friends, your old best friends, your family friends, and your family all there to see you, and you're trying to figure out the best way to see everyone and not seem like a hermit and only talk to a few. That being said, I just walked to the back of the bar and yelled "WHO WANTS PIZZA?? WE'RE LEAVING IN 5, GET OUTSIDE!!" and thankfully, a crew of my friends from school, home, and otherwise came out and we had pizza and then went to a bar until they had to catch their trains. It was such an amazing night, and if you were there, I really cannot thank you enough for everything :)

No comments: