Sunday, June 28, 2009

Last Flowers


I want to take a few minutes to blog about this absolutely amazing short film by Vancouver director CJ Wallis titled "Last Flowers." I stumbled upon the trailer (click here to view it) while doing a random youtube search, to find that the cast included one of my very favorite singer/songwriters, Sarah Slean. The trailer really intrigued me, and so I contacted Wallis and as well visited his site to see some of his other work (If you get the chance, check out his short film 'Circumference' as well) to see if the film would be coming out 'in these parts' anytime soon.

Lucky me, he got back to me promptly with dates in the states for the viewing of this film, and unlucky me was told it wouldn't be playing anywhere near me unless I wanted to make the trek to Tennessee or Alabama this summer (I wish). However, yesterday I got a message from him and was honored to recieve the means to view the un-color corrected and temp version of the film, and let me tell you, I would start your cars and head south now if I were you. This twenty minute film has the punch of an epic, and stays with you long after the final moments.

It is a film about an aspiring novelist who works for a funeral home, and attends a funeral for one of his client's families. He befriends the family, and one daughter in particular who shares with him a life lesson so heavy and painful, but still so inspiring and beautiful that you're not sure whether to smile, cry, gasp, or yell at the screen (I believe my response was all of the above).

Especially with everything that's been going on in my life right now, I found this short film especially relevant, though I think that this is one of those films where you probably will always find that is the case. If you check out some of Wallis' other work you'll see that he has a true knack for tackling very sobering material with great ease and fluidity, while also creating bonds with the reader and character that seem stronger than they would logically seem from the short length of the film. Visually and cinematically he is absolutely wonderful, choosing interesting angles for shots and overall a wonderful presentation for the films.

I won't say too much more, as I don't want to give anything away, but I highly recommend this film to everyone. I am not certain as to when the U.S. will be able to view the finished product other than traveling to film festivals in the south, I will keep you posted if any opportunities are available. Here are a few additional pictures from the film that you can view from their flickr account:



No comments: