Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Lazy/Productive is the way to be

As I have explained in my previous post, this week is pretty much just dedicated to music. And I really couldn't be happier. My solo album has kind of stayed in the background for such a long time that I really didn't think I'd even get around to recording it until November or December, and yet here I am, procrastinating on getting dressed so that I can meet Kiel at the studio to record the drums for it!!

It's definitely taken a turn for the productive when I realized/remembered that he's leaving for LA on Friday morning. Super bummed because he's been a friend for a while, and someone who I've seen grow a lot as a person for as long as I've known him. I'm really looking forward to working with him again before he leaves.

The one thing about a solo album that I guess I didn't really think about until now is that... all the decisions are mine and mine alone. As awesome as that seems in theory, I never really realized all the choices that need to be made. There's no one else in this band but me, so there is no bass player, no drummer, no guitar player... and there may not be if I deem it what I want. It's all so confusing, I'm taking inspiration in the instrumentation from Rocky Votolato, Ben Gibbard's solo stuff, Good Old War, The Weepies, and Ingrid Michaelson in terms of figuring out what will sound good. Hopefully that'll all fall into place organically.

There's also the artwork portion of it. I'm thinking about doing some sort of mixed-media thing for it, but that's going to be a TON of work (though I'm kind of excited about it). There isn't going to be the whole jewel-case thing with inserts and stuff, I think I'm just going to package it all in a cardboard sleeve and put all the lyrics and etc stuff on the website (There will be an extension from The Scarlet Ending's website for mine and my sister's solo pages). So basically, I just have to come up with the design for the front and back of the cd, and the website. Still a lot of work, but pumped. Paul will be taking some test shots for it while he's here to do the 2nd half of the TSE photo shoot this weekend.

So much work to do, getting a brain ache from taking notes on all these songs! I'll update you as the progress of this album, tentatively titled "Burrower" comes along.

No comments: