Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Well, I definitely showed off my feminine side today...

In an effort to continue on with our 'list of things to do while still in Nashville,' Michael and I decided to go to Radnor Lake. We've never been, but it sounded really nice; we're both pretty outdoors-ey and we've visited a few state parks together. So we decided to grab a nice sandwich and have a picnic (and I grabbed a morning cup of coffee). We intended from there to drive out to Historic Franklin, just to see the town and all the cute shops, so I donned my comfiest sundress and flip flops, and headed out with my camera.

Little did we know, Radnor Lake really is just a park with hiking trails. So here I am, walking dirt paths (that were soggy from the week of rain Nashville has gotten over the past few days) in gold sequin flip flops, a sundress, a clutch, and a coffee in my hands. I felt like the most ridiculous person on the world, while women dressed in their power-walking best strode past me, and men with their walking sticks just kind of stared in disbelief that someone dressed this way were even out before noon. I am very aware that there are many a 'super sweet 16' kind of girl in this area of TN, but... definitely not me. If I had my sneakers on I would have loved to keep going all day, but of course, after a cup of coffee and about an hour of hiking I really had to pee. With no bathroom in sight and just more trails, I totally thought it was going to be yet another adventure to just hide behind a nice tree or something, but finally we found somewhere. I really enjoyed the park, it was absolutely gorgeous; once I get my laptop back online I'll post a bunch of pictures to illustrate my trip.

After looping the lake and eating, we headed to Franklin. Neither of us had been there before either, and Michael got some 'scenic route' directions so we could drive through Brentwood on the way. Basically those areas are where a TON of country artists live, and the houses we passed were beyond huge and ridiculous. To further make my point, the gargoyles bordering the gates to the driveways of these houses were beyond huge and ridiculous. And just to add to the whole feeling of the afternoon, we listened to Paramore. Hope you understand the need to do so.

Franklin overall was a really cute town. Not too too much to do, as we are normal (lower)middle-class individuals who just graduated and have yet to find a steady job and most of the cute boutiques have cotton tank tops priced at $250 or above, but we still did a lot of window shopping. Michael found a nice bookstore, and I found 2 (yes, 2) cupcake bakeries. Within walking distance of each other. Naturally, we purchased one of each and had our way with them.

The one we got from Ivey Cake was Lemon, I don't remember what it was called but all of the cupcakes here had these amazingly sassy and girly names. So funny. I'll have to check out the website and go into detail about the place, but it was great. The other, from the Curious Gourmet Cupcake Bakery, was absolutely massive. We got a 'worms and dirt' one, with chocolate cake and green frosting (with oreo cookies and a gummy worm). I think our overall thoughts were that the chocolate cake from Curious Gourmet was the most amazing cake we've ever had. Thank goodness we walked all that way before we got to Franklin, because they didn't last 15 minutes.

We went back downtown on our way back to the apartment to check out a few more shops that weren't open the last time we were down there, and then relaxed for a bit. Because it was such a beautiful day, we decided to get falafel from Bellvue (where Michael lived last year), and then head to Love Hill one last time before the move. Basically, for all of you who don't know Nashville too well, Love Hill is a small plot of land on the top of a hill in a residential area. A lot of people don't know about it, but you can see the entire Nashville skyline from the top, and on the other side you can see the sunset over the hills and countryside. It's really an amazing view.

Every time I've been down here we take a picture from the top of the hill, and sadly this time my camera's batteries died. So bummed, but we still had a really nice dinner, and then went back to the apartment before going on a short walk around Music Row. We found out that SESAC had a Grammy Party going on down the street, with live music and such (though I don't understand the timing entirely), and although I didn't know of any of the groups performing, I just love how this place is about live music. You couldn't get into the party without an invitation, but you could see the stage from the street.

Overall, it was another great day. Tomorrow we run some errands (returning the cable box, closing bank accounts, etc), and pack up Cameron (Michael's Camry has a name). I hope to walk around Hillsboro one more time, and take some more pictures if my rechargeable batteries can make it one more day (I didn't realize they can die...like die die). Aggghhh I'm not ready to give this place up yet!!

No comments: