Monday, May 11, 2009

I have internet! For the moment!

Today, I will fill you in on a bit more of my time in Nashville, as well as our objectives for the rest of our time here. Things will be a bit sporadic, but stay with me.

First off, Michael had to go to the Post Office this morning to pick up the graduation present I sent to him (only showed up... a few days late), so I tagged along because it was in Hillsboro Village. I think that this area of Nashville is my all time favorite location in the whole city, full of cute shops, a coffee shop, and just a nice, artsy feel. It is also the outdoor location to this music video:



So anyways, I went with and stopped by Fido (the coffee shop there) to get some caffeine in the old veins. The place is called Fido because I believe it used to be a pet shop, and they kept the neon sign on the outside of the store and everything. It's a sweet place, and friends of Michael's have seen Ben Folds there, and when I took Leena and Shane I was informed one of Big and Rich's 'posse' was there, but I didn't recognize him so I don't think it counts. Regardless, I got a white chocolate raspberry latte (called a pink poodle), and while I was waiting the guy next to me struck up a conversation about Vanderbilt Football (...to which I just played along with, I have no idea what he was talking about, but hey, everyone here is just so nice I can hardly stand it). Once he left, the guy behind the counter looked at me, smiled, and responded "I'm just guessing, but I don't think you are too big a follower of football, are you?" I must say, I really enjoy how happy people out here are, on a daily basis. It took quite a while to get my drink, but when it was served by the guy behind the counter I found he gave me a larger size and since I requested no whipped cream, there was LATTE ART in it's place. Way to make my day, I've always been wanting to go somewhere where that was done.

I guess there was a line at the Post Office, so I went and did some shopping at Pangaea. I really love that store, it's a bit high-end but I vowed to myself I would get something there during this visit so I did, and when I returned Michael was all set. We came back to the apartment, went downtown for a bit, just going to the shops and such, and then came back and made lunch. Then we went for a walk down to the Nashville Clothing Company (another place I love), walked around, and made a few more stops along the way. Now we're back at the apt, hanging out for a bit, making dinner here, and then I think going to the Flying Saucer with a few of Michael's friends. At 9pm there is a free show at the Mercy Lounge with the Mean Tambourines, a local band that Michael turned me on to, so I think we're going to check that out as well.

Okay, so the list. This is what we're working with:

Food:
1. The Loveless Cafe (check, ate their Saturday with his family)
2. The Pancake Pantry (check)
3. Gigi's Cupcakes (check... will be re-checked again on Wednesday)
4. Fido (check)
5. Las Paletas (check)
6. Frank's Greek Food (sounds sketchy... tastes delicious)
7. Mellow Mushroom (optional, but it's reliable and awesome)
8. Pie In The Sky (just for dessert)
9. The Frothy Monkey (coffeeshop... sounds interesting)

Places/Shops:
1. Radner Lake (I think we'll be going tomorrow)
2. Hillsboro Village (check)
3. Elliston Place (I want a milkshake at a diner down there)
4. Katy K's Ranch Dressing (It's a western shop.. but wow, what a name)
5. Downtown (check)
6. FireFinch - Hillsboro (check)
7. Pangaea - Hillsboro (check)
8. Nashville Clothing Company - West End (check)

So we're doing pretty well, I must say.

Oh, and here's some work from Duy Huynh that we saw in that gallery:




I was unfamiliar with his work prior to seeing it listed online at the gallery, but I'm so happy that we went out to it.

No comments: