Sunday, May 10, 2009

Nashville... I don't want to leave you.

I know I really haven't been keeping up with updates lately, and I think it mostly has to do with the fact that I haven't had internet since Thursday. I wrote up a little something to post about the SUNY Canton show in the Detroit airport only to find that the internet connection failed, and from then once I got to Nashville my computer once again won't work in Michael's apartment.

The past 3 days have really been a whirlwind; I got in Thursday afternoon and met Michael at the airport, went to an English get-together for a bit at Vanderbilt, and then went to pick up his oldest brother, Steven, from the airport. From there we went to Las Paletas (we didn't waste any time crossing of things on our list of things to see before we left), which is an AMAZING specialty popsicle shop. I got a plum one, and it still had the skin in it... it was listerally like someone just ground up a dozen plums and froze it on a stick. Soooo good. His parents and middle brother Chris arrived later in the evening, so we met them for dinner and then showed them around downtown a bit. I didn't realize how much I've learned about this city, and I'm pretty impressed that I really do kind of know my way around.

Friday was Michael's graduation. It was a very interesting setup, everyone went into the basketball stadium (it was supposed to be outside but there were some severe weather warnings), and we sat and listened to the chancellor for an hour and a half or so, and then we split up for the various graduation ceremonies (undergrads stayed, certain schools went to different places). Michael's was the Masters and Ph.D graduation, and although awesome to see, it was definitely a 5 hour ordeal. I'm so proud of him though, and as I've visited throughout the couple of years he's been here I've gotten to know and meet just about everyone in his class (there are only 6 of them), and his professors, and they seem like amazing people. We went to the Pancake Pantry after that (cross that off), and relaxed/did some walking around before we went out for a fancy dinner that night. We intended on showing them the Pedestrian bridge downtown where you can see the whole skyline, but thunder and lighting kind of cancelled that one.

Saturday is kind of a blur, just a lot of tourist-ing for his family, going to all the 'spots' in Nashville, and then going to a party at one of his friend's houses who graduated from the fiction side of the program. Coincidentally her and her husband are moving to Ithaca in the coming weeks so that her husband can finish up his Ph.D work at Cornell, so they won't be too far. I also got to speak with Michael's main professor and his wife, and by talking to these people it's no wonder why he enjoyed his time here. The area itself is so inspiring, but to have people that share that same desire to create and be inspired by everything around them is very refreshing, and you don't see too much of that in Syracuse.

Today his family left and we kind of regrouped and figured out a list of everything we want to see and do. We went out to East Nashville early to see this amazing art gallery featuring artist Duy Huynh. His work is absolutely amazing, and going there was one of those experiences where you just want to run home and start painting again. We also went out to Opry Mills for a bit (I wanted to check out the mall... I know, that's kind of lame, but it was rather cloudy so it put a damper on enjoying the outdoors). After that we grabbed some groceries and called it a night. It's definitely been an exhausting weekend, so we're taking it easy. We have a very busy few days ahead of us before the big drive back on Thursday.

We went out for a short walk around 9pm, and I wanted to walk past this studio that I knew Taylor Swift had recorded a few songs at for her new album ("Breathe" I am certain was recorded there, not sure of any others). I absolutely love this city with all my heart, but it was almost discouraging, facing this gigantic building with wrought-iron fences and call buttons to get in. It's wrong to say I want this (to make it as a musician), more than anything I've ever wanted, because I've really never wanted anything else. I grew up playing music, I've sang and played music since I learned to talk. I'm trying to turn that into a driving force to write more, to submit to every person on a list of possible clients for Cherry Lane, to keep writing, both for tse and for myself, pop or indie or country or anything. It's become an ache that I just... need. I feel like I need this city for it too. I need to walk past those big buildings with their congratulatory banners for Keith Urban and Taylor Swift and other songwriters and artists, and I need to see myself being one of them one day. It's just so hard, being so small. I'm hoping to take that back with me, because I don't know when I'll be coming back here. I think already this visit has been boot camp for my creativity. Michael's professors kept saying to him, "If it's one thing you do, just don't stop writing." He's trying to get his manuscript published, but with all of that going on, they just don't want him to stop. I feel like that message, from his peers and professors to all the buildings that border this tiny apartment has been drilled into my skull and I know that it's the same for me.

This place is so awe-inspiring that it will get you, both down and up to where you don't know whether to smile or cry or do both. All I know is a smile hasn't left my face since I got off the airplane.

No comments: