Saturday, March 28, 2009

SXSW wrap up and more

So, after much contemplation, I'm not sure if I am cut out to have a blog. I am the WORST 'blogger,' and I rarely update this thing. So hey, sorry. I will do my best to start getting it together. And by 'getting it together' I mean 'getting more random.' Enjoy.

So anyways, from the 17-23 I was in Austin TX for SXSW. This was my 3rd year at the conference, and once again it did anything but disappoint. I'll spare you all the tiny details, but the conference panels were both amazing and insightful, and as per usual the people that were there were nothing short of completely delightful.

FOR EXAMPLE: Kaleena, Jess and I busted our asses putting up posters every which way on 6th st and the convention center, and passers-by with more height than us would simply help us tape the posters up and then keep walking. So awesome. One dude started talking with us, asking us where we were from, and he said he was filming a Canadian documentary on indie bands and the state of Canadian music. At that we both asked if he knew who Mother Mother was, as they were on our top list of bands to see. Turns out he was interviewing them the next day, and asked if we would like to be the hosts. So... yeah, we obliged, and had the most amazing time (and made a really sweet friend in the process). But that's really just one example. I had the pleasure of meeting Matt Caws (Nada Surf) and Amanda Palmer, and see some bands I never heard of that blew me away (Mumford and Sons... seriously, go check them out. It's like Damien Rice meets the Dear Hunter or Good Old War or the Jayhawks. Whatever reference you like best).

Speaking of Good Old War, we will be playing a show with them on May 1st at the Sheldon Ballroom in Oswego. Tickets will be 5 bucks, door at 7:30 I believe. If you can make it out I would highly recommend it. We'll be doing a slightly different kind of set, and once you check out GOW you'll be just like me and want to see them :)

On the band front, we once again have a lot coming up. After SXSW it looks like we will once again be working with the wonderful Armed Forces Entertainment in performing for our troops. We will have more info for you as soon as I get some concrete dates and places. More announcements coming soon.

In the meantime, here's a picture of a really cute sheep. No reason. Happy Saturday.

No comments: